Thursday, November 27, 2008

not a bad thing at all

Lest you think this "partly broken" thing is morbid or defeatest, let me remind you what Chogyam Trungpa said in "Shambhala, Sacred Path of the Warrior." He said that the warrior should have a broken heart so that he can feel the suffering of others and have compassion.

I'm pretty sure that's what he said. That's what stuck with me after all these years. I remember imagining that broken heart and recognizing my own desire to strengthen my defenses, to become more rigid and to reinforce the walls of my protective (figurative) fortress. I thought about how we're probably all broken-hearted already, we just don't like to admit it. Or feel it. Or live it.

So I guess I looked inside my fortress walls and found my broken heart and figured what Trungpa was saying was that I should let myself feel it a little more because it would maybe make me a better person. I mean, we could argue about what a "better person" is, but let's not squabble over petty details.

2 comments:

Dale said...

Yes. Exactly. I think it's terribly important to meet the world from the broken places.

heather said...

i really like this. i do hope you continue the theme, somewhat, over on your planet.